birding-aus

re: URL for World Bird Check Lists

To: <>
Subject: re: URL for World Bird Check Lists
From: "Lawrie Conole" <>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2002 10:19:56 +1100
Hi Bob!

Thanks for posting that URL.  I initially got a little bit excited as I'm
always on the lookout for good international checklists.  However, despite
the author's claim that many are almost full lists, I found most to be quite
a long way from complete.  Of course my interests are always a bit obscure,
but Uzbekistan for example (where I went birding in 2000) has a country list
of about 400 spp, but this web site has a list of about 90 common spp.  I
found the same for the other Central Asian states, Russia, etc.  The
Indonesian list looks like it might be reasonable comprehensive, and I'd
guess some of the USA state lists would be too.  The alphabetical format is
really annoying!

So it's useful, but so far from complete as to be a bit frustrating!

Cheers -- Lawrie

Lawrie Conole
Senior Zoologist
Ecology Australia Pty Ltd
88B Station Street
FAIRFIELD 3078 VICTORIA
Australia

Phone (03) 9489 4191;  Fax (03) 9481 7679