birding-aus

My First Birding Trip and Post

To: <>
Subject: My First Birding Trip and Post
From: "sally roddom" <>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2002 10:27:23 +0930
G'day everyone

I have been 'lurking' on the list for a wee while not being confident
enough to post until I had something to say.

I live in Darwin in the NT and recently my mother visited from southern
climes and we went off to visit Jabiru and travel on the compulsory
'Yellow Waters Cruise'.  I decided to put my 6 month birding experience
to work :)

I learnt a lot and learnt I still have a lot to learn!! - Birds mostly
do not sit still while you line them up in your camera viewfinder and
fiddle with the zoom.  I need new binoculars and a new camera!!!  I also
learnt that it is not easy to balance your camera, binoculars, notebook,
pencil and look for birds that flash past at high speed!!! Oh and while
you write a description and do a mud diagram of bird, you miss some more
- sigh. Hopefully I'll eventually get it all together and relax :)

So my very small bird list for the trip is:

Blue-winged Kookaburra (4)
Partridge Pigeon (5 or 6 in Car park at Gagadju crocodile hotel car
park)
Masked Lapwing (very common, seemed to be in every park area where there
was mowed grass)
Rainbow Bee eater (numerous - didn't keep exact count)
Green Pygmy Geese (lots of pairs - and one threesome)
Magpie Geese (heaps of lots)
Whiskered Tern (lots)
Willie Wagtail (1)
Jacina (Jesus Bird - quite a few, maybe 30-40 whole cruise)
Restless flycatcher (1)
White bellied Sea eagle (a pair)
White-gaped honeyeater (1)
Red winged Parrot (2)
Blue-faced honeyeater (4)
Darter - female (3) - A question, the rangers kept calling them
'Australian Darter' but Simpson and Day just says Darter - which is
correct?

There were also a group of birds (10/12)near nourlangi rock which I
think were Spangled Drongo's - they were high up in the trees, jet black
and with forked tails. They were chasing each other and obviously
catching insects in the air - flying out and snapping beaks.

Thankyou

Sally Roddom