birding-aus

The Big Twitch- The First Hundred!

To: "Birding-Aus" <>
Subject: The Big Twitch- The First Hundred!
From: "Sean Dooley" <>
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2002 00:09:09 +1100
For those interested, an update on how my Big Twitch is going...

The good news is, I've passed the ton, the hundredth bird being Pink-eared Duck at Werribee.

On Thursday 3rd, I went down to Port Fairy for a film shoot and as such was unable to concentrate too much on the birding, though just travelling through South West Victoria I managed to add a further 31 species, the highlights being a pair of Wedge-tailed Eagles just south of Stoneyford, and that South West specialty, Long-billed Corella.

Friday 4th saw me at Seaford Swamp, accompanied by Peter Lansley. I do a regular monthly survey at Seaford for Melbourne Water and this month the swamp is in as good condition as it's been for fifteen years. Seaford is where I first went birdwatching, so it was good to see the list really rocket along on "my patch." Conditions were perfect for waders and we saw nine species including 370 Sharp-tailed Sandpiper, 90 Red-necked Avocet, and three Latham's Snipe.

Just as memorable was a lone Caspian Tern- only the second record for Seaford. Sixty-eight species were seen at Seaford, certainly showing just why it was recently listed as a Ramsar wetland.

With the list standing at 92, I headed the next day, again with Peter, out to "The Farm" at Werribee. (Western Treatment Plant). We had five Black Kites circling overhead at the site where Paul McDonald had reported Red-chested Button Quail, but they appeared to be long gone. Undeterred at my first 'dip' of The Big Twitch", we soldiered on and had a great day's birding adding a further 18 species to my list. Highlights at Werribee were the nineteen or so Freckled Duck, on the lake immediately south of Lake Borrie South, Small flocks of Banded Stilt, great views of Singing Bushlark on the road at Paradise Lagoons and again along the Little River, and a solitary Wood Sandpiper at the conservation lagoons. There was also a lone Great Crested Grebe in full breeding clobber on the Little River, this is always an impressive bird, and one that I can't remember seeing at Werribee before.

I left Werribee with the total now on 110. To celebrate, I hit the town with a non-birding friend. The bar tender didn't seem to share my enthusiasm, nor did the girls at the bar seem terribly impressed by my achievements. I still can't understand why "I had a Freckled Duck today" never works as a pick up line.

I took it fairly easy today (Sunday), staying in bed until any chance of a post-celebratory hangover had subsided. In the afternoon I made my way down to the bird hide at Edithvale wetlands. This was birding deluxe with heaps of waterbirds all casually going about their business oblivious to the members of the public only metres away. The hide at Edithvale is close to the best I have been in due to its set up, the enthusiasm of the volunteers who open it up on the weekends, and (unlike many hides I have been in), its proximity to the birds. From the comfort of the hide I added some really nice birds including : Magpie Goose, Buff-banded Rail, Intermediate Egret, Spotted and Spotless Crake.

My total after six days of twitching now stands at 117 species. Not that impressive when compared to Keith and Lindsay Fishers extremely impressive 160 birds seen on New Year's Day, but I will be heading up to their turf at some stage, have no doubt.

Until then, I've got a lot of Southern birds still to get.

Cheers for now,

Sean Dooley