birding-aus

Oriental Cuckoo

To: "Birding-aus" <>
Subject: Oriental Cuckoo
From: "Jon Wren" <>
Date: Sun, 6 Jan 2002 16:54:17 +1000
Gooday all,
Yesterday during a rare Locomotive failure I conducted a 2ha survey at the
Collinsville Loop site 20 32 19S 147 50 53E 10.25-10.45.
The location was alive with Cuckoos. First of all a Channel-billed Cuckoo
then an Indian Koel and to put the icing on the proverbial cake an Oriental
Cuckoo was settled on a bare branch approx 20m away. It finally flew and
certainly gave the impression of a Falcon in form.
At 11.50 I was lucky enough to do another 20 min survey after the Locomotive
failed at Mount Devlin approx 3km NE of the other count site. To my
astonishment I located another Oriental Cuckoo. (same bird?)
By far the best result I have ever had of this species and a good start to
2002.
Jon Wren