birding-aus

2001 highlights

Subject: 2001 highlights
Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2002 14:46:38 +1000
My highlights of the year 2001.  A number of these highlights aren't
specifically seeing something new or exciting but relate to the act of
birding itself.  They are in no particular order.

-  radio-tracking of Regent Honeyeaters in the Capertee Valley in January
and February with volunteers extrordinare Carol Probets and Tiffany Mason.
Bloody hard work continually climbing steep hills in 40 degree heat but we
followed Regents into habitat that we never knew they used.  While we
didn't resolve all the issues about Regent Honeyeater movement it
certainly explained some things we have observed in the past

-  Bustard just south of Bourke 9 June.

-  A weekend, 30 June - 1 July, atlassing some neglected blocks in the
geographical centre of NSW - from Tottenham to Nymagee.  A number of
species at their western and eastern limits as well as Superb Parrots,
Major Mitchell Cockatoos, Black Falcon, Splendid Fairy-wren, Crested
Bellbird, White-fronted, Yellow-plumed and Grey-fronted Honeyeaters.  The
spotted Bowerbirds "playing" in the main street of Tottenham was great to
watch from the balcony of the local pub.

-  My trip to "Bowra" at Cunnamulla, 7-13 July.  The second such trip in
two years.  Great hospitality and great birds - Bourke Parrot, Major
Mitchell Cockatoo, Crested Bellbird, Chestnut-breasted Quail-thrush,
White-browed Tree-creeper.

-  Chestnut-breasted Quail-thrush, Major Mitchell Cockatoo and Red-winged
Parrot among 20-odd other species on a 2ha, 20 minute atlas search west of
Byrock 14 July.

-  Magnificent and prolonged views of a pair of Turquoise Parrots feeding
on low grevilleas in the Capertee Valley 9 September

-  A pair of very vocal Sooty Owls at Allyn River in the Hunter Valley on
a twitchathon recce 11 October

-  The 2001 Twitchathon with Carol Probets and Mick Todd on 27-28 October.
Great company, great birds -  Painted Honeyeater *, Spotted Harrier *,
Black Falcon *,  Barking Owl, Wompoo Fruit-dove, Paradise Riflebird, Noisy
Pitta ( * not seen during 24 hour twitchathon period) - culminating in a
winning NSW total of 218 species.

-  "Old Faithful", the Goonoo Malleefowl working his mound on 11 November
with "the missus" who appeared to lay in the mound as they were watched.

These highlights are those that have popped into my head.  I'm sure that
if I went through my note books others would also vie for a position.

Cheers

David Geering

confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient, please
delete it and notify the sender. Views expressed in this message may be
those of the individual sender, and are not necessarily the views of the
NSW National Parks and Wildlife Service.