birding-aus

Sulawesi & Bali trip report

To: "" <>
Subject: Sulawesi & Bali trip report
From: Susan Myers <>
Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2002 12:01:56 +1100
G'day all and Happy New Year!
Last October I travelled to Sulawesi and Bali in Indonesia with Jan Smith
from the U.S. and Chris Lester. Contrary to the impression the media can
sometimes give, we found Sulawesi to be peaceful, safe and a joy to travel
around. Our main objective was of course to see as many of the exciting
Sulawesi endemics as possible and then to see the endemic Bali Myna on our
way home. From this point of view the trip was a great success. There were
many highlights including hundreds of the spectacular Knob-billed Hornbill
feeding in fig trees at Tangkoko National Park, the huge megapode Maleo at
their nesting grounds at Bogani Nani Wartabone, Barred Buttonquail with
tiny, tiny chicks and wonderful montane endemics including Diabolical
Nightjar, noisy flocks of Golden-mantled Racquet-tail Parrots, the scarce
Maroon-backed Whistler and the unbelievable Purple-bearded Bee-eater on the
Anaso Track at Lore Lindu National Park - to name but a few from this
exciting area. Not to mention close up views of Spectral Tarsier (world's
smallest primate) and so on.
The reason I mention all this is that I have completed my trip report and
posted it on my website http://www.websurf.net.au/~susan The report
includes an annotated list of the birds and mammals we recorded in Sulawesi
(I have not completed the list for Bali yet) as well as some photos that
may be of interest.
I hope you enjoy the report if you have a look and please let me know if
you have any comments or queries, especially of you are planning to go!
cheers,
Susan

Susan Myers
ph. +61 3 9899 9303