birding-aus

Digital video cameras and birdwatching, amendment to advice

To: <>
Subject: Digital video cameras and birdwatching, amendment to advice
From: "Robert Inglis" <>
Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2001 23:16:56 -0800
Hello all,

In the past I have offered advice in response to queries re using digital video
cameras when birdwatching.
In that advice I have mentioned a particular brand of computer software used for
editing the recorded video.
Because of certain recent experiences I now wish to withdraw any recommendation
of that company's products.
I do not wish to name the products or the company on this forum but if anyone
wishes to know more they should contact me direct.

Suffice it to say that before outlaying money for such software, including the
latest applications designed to burn videos onto CDs or DVDs, thoroughly
investigate the product involved including checking out the company's website
and bulletin boards for any 'patches' or problems.
Also, try to find out if anyone you know has any experience with the product.
I would be more than willing to discuss this topic with anyone interested.

I make no apology for bringing this topic up on this forum.
It is obvious that more and more people are becoming interested in video cameras
for use in their birdwatching pursuits.
At the same time I am becoming more and more annoyed with companies that market
software products that are obviously faulty.
When those same companies fail to take notice of consumer complaints and deny
that problems exist the situation becomes serious.

Remember, fancy packaging and monumental sounding names do not necessarily mean
that the product is good; there may be a better product that in fact is leading
the pack in that regard!! :-)

All the best to you all for the new year ,

Bob Inglis
Woody Point
Queensland
Australia.