birding-aus

Superb Lyrebird Mimicry

To: "Birding-Aus" <>
Subject: Superb Lyrebird Mimicry
From: "Irene" <>
Date: Sat, 29 Dec 2001 12:46:35 +1100
Hello All

For the last couple of years, I have been building a database to record my
birdwatching and Australian native orchid records.
This has taken quite a while as I built it and loaded over 13 years worth of
records from handwritten notes.  With databases,
one can of course endlessly continue developing it by adding more and more
features etc.  Nevertheless, I'm thrilled to be
finishing off 2001 by being able to say that my database is now finished.
Yahoo!!!

No. of birdwatching records      27,826
No of orchid records             1,136

Now the real fun begins - going back over the records and reliving some of the
wonderful times in nature.

As I was treated recently to a concert by a Superb Lyrebird, I looked at my
records of their mimicry.

14 August 1993 - Barren Grounds Nature Reserve
1.  Laughing Kookaburra   2.  Rosella   3.  Australian Raven   4.  Pied
Currawong   5.  Eastern Whipbird

25 January 1997 - Tidbinbilla Nature Reserve, Camel Back Nature Trail
1.  Yellow-tailed Black-Cockatoo   2.  Crimson Rosella   3.  Satin Bowerbird
4.  Pied Currawong

1 March 1998 - Jamberoo
1.  Grey Shrike-Thrush   2.  Crimson Rosella   3.  White-browed Scrubwren   4.
Pilotbird   5.  Pied Currawong   6.
Australian Magpie    7.  Eastern Whipbird

7 July 1998 - Royal National Park, Forest Path
1.  Pied Currawong   2.  Crimson Rosella   3.  Golden Whistler   4.  Laughing
Kookaburra   5.  Sulphur-crested Cockatoo   6.
Grey Shrike-Thrush   7.  Eastern Whipird
and own lyrebird calls

On a different part of the track:
1.  Pied Currawong   2.  Crimson Rosella   3.  Golden Whistler   4.  Red
Wattlebird   5.  White-browed Scrubwren   6.  Grey
Shrike-Thrush   7.  Eastern Whipird

24 March 2000 - Winmalee, Bluegum Creek Swamp walk
1.  Yellow-tailed Black-Cockatoo   2.  Crimson Rosella   3.  Noisy Friarbird
4.  Eastern Whipbird    5.  Yellow-faced
Honeyeater
and own lyrebird calls

11 November 2001 - Mt. Banks (Blue Mountains)
1.  Pied Currawong   2.  Crimson Rosella   3.  Butcherbird   4.  Yellow-tailed
Black-Cockatoo
and own lyrebird calls

Other birds gave a limited range of calls and not very fluidly.  I understand
these may be younger birds.  Some of my records
show

It's interesting to see the similarities and differences.  The Pied Currawong
was almost always mimicked and rosellas are
popular too.  The Jamberoo bird stands out for the Pilotbird mimicry, the Mt.
Banks bird was the only one copying a
butcherbird, and the Winmalee bird decided to be different by mimicking Noisy
Friarbird and Yellow-faced Honeyeaters.

Bishfire news regarding Royal National Park is terrible (3rd major fire in 8
years with this one apparently affecting ALL of
the park).  I do hope all those birds are all right and will survive the
bushfires.  I'm not sure how big the lyrebird
territories are, but the Blue Mountains fires seem to have been concentrated on
the lower mountains and hopefully the birds
could move to other parts of the mountains.

Cheers and Happy Times with Nature.  Best wishes for a good end to 2001 and a
great 2002.

Irene Denton
Concord West, 12 km from Sydney city, NSW Australia
33°50.278'S  151°05.406'E