birding-aus

Singed Needletails

To: Carol Probets <>
Subject: Singed Needletails
From: John Gamblin <>
Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2001 14:34:43 -0800 (PST)
Carol Probets <> wrote:

Hundreds of White-throated Needletails flying south on
a broad front over Katoomba this morning. They were
going over when I woke at 8.20am and seem to have
almost petered out by about 9 o'clock - at least 400
that I could count.

Katoomba is, at the moment clear, but just to the east
the mid and lower mountains are blanketed with smoke
from the bushfires.

Carol
Carol Probets
Katoomba
Blue Mountains NSW

G'day Carol,

That is good news to hear from you, but just make
absolutely sure you home is ready for any eventuality.

How clean are your gutters? have you soaked the house
yet? hope your ears weren't burning last night? Tony
Russell and I spoke about you over the phone. Looks
like 80 per cent of the Royal NP has gone eh?

  ~:^(

I'm thinking of calling on many of the little home
builders of these parts, nest box makers etc etc, to
ask the NSW NPWS if they would like some? the toll for
those we love is bad.

You take care of yourself, fill your bath tub with
water and throw in a few towels to soak okay. Give my
best to the boys from Pearcedale and Hastings if you
see their fire trucks.

Are thoughts and prayers are with you.

John and many down here.