birding-aus

Tawny Frogmouth at Mount Isa

To: "Messages Birding-aus" <>
Subject: Tawny Frogmouth at Mount Isa
From: "Bob Forsyth" <>
Date: Sun, 23 Dec 2001 18:13:04 +1000
g'day all
Re my earlier posting 18/12/2001 about a Froggie squatting on the
ground.
One reply from Gina Brown was ..
".... I have on two separate occasions (2 years apart) flushed a
Tawny Frogmouth
that was roosting on the ground.  Both times were while bushwalking
in the
Kimberley.   I can't precisely recall the habitat but there were
trees
around and the frogmouth flew up to a tree each time, enabling me to
identify it.   At the time I thought it was strange behaviour and I
asked
Mike Carter if he knew whether TF's are known to roost on the
ground.  He
replied that he had heard of it, particularly up north.... "

I was browsing thru some old Emu Journals and found in the Stray
Feather section  "Notes on a Frogmouth seen near Mt.Isa" by Eric
Pockley , ( Emu Sept,1953, V53(3) p266-267 )
He said that on 16/8/1952 "during the heat of the day" he flushed 2
Frogmouths from the ground under his feet at Mica Creek. One flew
right away, the other settled in a low tree a few yards away etc.
He went on to query the species. The editor added "probably the
subspecies phalaenoides, a small 'distinct form.

Regards, Bob Forsyth, Mount Isa, NW Qld.