birding-aus

Green Island

To: <>
Subject: Green Island
From: "Keith & Lindsay Fisher" <>
Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2001 16:08:04 +1000
Hi,
I had to go to Green Island for work yesterday (groan!). GI is 27 km NE of
Cairns on the Great Barrier Reef (17° 02' 35" S  145° 30' 56" E,  AUS
84/66). Nothing out of the ordinary for here but good views of several
species. Reef Egrets, both Grey and White are easily seen and are quite tame
allowing good photo opportunities, away from the resort. Not quite the same
photographing them sitting on a chair waiting to pounce on some unsuspecting
persons lunch! Buff-banded Rails are equally tame and easy to photograph,
they have made a come back on the island since the eradication of rats.
Rose-crowned Fruit-Doves can be heard calling but are difficult to see,
however persistence pays off and views can be had. A few waders were loafing
around the rocks on the NW end of the island, 3 Ruddy Turnstone, a Greater
Sandplover, a Grey-tailed Tattler (not Wandering which I have seen here
previously), 2 Whimbrel and several Pacific Golden Plover were hiding in the
grassed areas. Black-naped Terns were nesting on the navigation towers by
the jetty, one juvenile bird and 3 others appeared to be sitting on nests.
Bridled, Sooty and a few Little Terns were sitting on some buoys by the
jetty. A Sea-Eagle soared over and a Pheasant Coucal was seen dust bathing
by the Primary Industries house (seen here on several previous occasions). A
pleasant morning out (22 species) - in case you are wondering yes I did do
some work!

Cheers,
Keith.

Keith & Lindsay Fisher