birding-aus

Plumheads still around

To: "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: Plumheads still around
From: "Bill Jolly" <>
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2001 15:53:19 +1000
It's been a busy week for Plumheads hereabouts. In the last four days we've
come across them in seven different locations. On the first occasion I was
able to tell my visitors that it was a pretty special bird and sometimes
very difficult to come across. By the time they left this-morning shortly
after their seventh sighting in four days, it was getting a bit difficult to
convince them that I hadn't been exaggerating from the start!

We had a great close view of a Black Bittern on McIntyre Brook on Sunday,
(photo in the camera), as well as a good roadside look at an obliging
Turquoise Parrot, and some Bluebonnets. Again, I claimed these as good
sightings - we didn't subsequently see any of them repeatedly over
succeeding days!

Banded Lapwing with two fluffy youngsters in tow in the Lockyer Waters
district, and a Masked Lapwing with young in the same paddock. Nearby a pair
of Ground Cuckoo-shrikes were feeding two youngsters just a few days out of
the nest.

When Tanya Ireton was here from Melbourne a week or so back, we caught up
with one of the Blue-winged Kookaburras that live in the Lockyer. I guess
they must be Australia's southernmost Blue-winged Kookas. Tanya took a shot
of him using a camera adaptor on her scope, and I'm waiting very patiently
to hear from her how it turned out! It looked great through the scope!
I just got back some sad, underexposed, blurry photos I took of a Noisy
Pitta in Ravensbourne National Park.  I'm quite pleased with them.
Bill Jolly

"Abberton",
Lockyer Valley, Queensland.

Visit our website at http://www.abberton.org

Email:
Ph: (+61) 7 4697 6111  Fax: (+61) 7 4697 6056