birding-aus

"The Birds"

Subject: "The Birds"
From: Laurie & Leanne Knight <>
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2001 09:07:31 +1000
Greetings All,

I thought some of you might appreciate the following item which appeared
in my local newspaper.  The behaviour of these crows appears to be
seasonal [possibly linked to nesting].  Bearing in mind the factual
"drift" that is part and parcel of [any form of] journalism, there are
some interesting points ...

Regards, Laurie.

The Southern Star  12.12.2001, p 1.

?Scared to go outside, Wendy is a prisoner of THE BIRDS? [By Natalie
Newell]

Alfred Hitchcock couldn?t have done it any better.

?For the past five weeks, Mt Gravatt East pensioner Wendy Windsor has
been a prisoner in her own home, trapped by two vicious crows that
appear to have formed a vendetta against her.

?An anxious Ms Windsor believes they are the same two crows which
tormented her last year and said the crows were ruining her life.

?The minute Ms Windsor steps outside her front or rear doors the crows
swoop at her and don?t return to their tree until she has run back
inside.

?She?s at a loss to understand why the crows do not attack anyone else
in the neighbourhood or visitors to her house.

?She has not been able to  go shopping, walk her dog, mow the grass,
hang out the washing or tend to her garden since the attacks started
last month.

?Friends and family help with day-to-day chores but Ms Windsor is at a
loss at how to regain her life.

?She has even taken to wearing disguises, but to no avail.

?"Even when I put my head out the window it swoops at me," a distraught
Ms Windsor said.

?"I could be standing on the back landing and they will come for me ?
they miss me by about 30 cm.  They are just so vicious ? they are
stalking me.  I can?t leave my house.

?"I can?t sleep.  I?m now having nightmares of big black shapes
attacking me.  It is just so awful."

?She has tried a number of recommended and some novel ways of trying to
scare off the crows but without success.

?Cap guns don?t work, hosing them doesn?t work and hanging streams of
aluminium foil around the outside of the house doesn?t work.  Ms Windsor
is at a loss.

?She said she had contacted the Queensland Parks and Wildlife every day
for the past three weeks desperate for a solution and had been
disappointed by their response.

?They had warned her killing a crow attracts a $5000 fine and to have
the birds trapped and removed will cost $120.  But there was no
guarantee the birds won?t return.

?"Either way I am going to lose.  I can?t see why I have to pay $120 for
them to be taken away only for them to come back," she said.

?"The only way I?m going to get my life back is if they are destroyed.
If I was having this kind of problem with a stray dog there is no doubt
they would come and destroy it.  What is the difference?"

?The Star sought comment from Queensland Parks and Wildlife Service but
none had been received a the time of going to press.?