birding-aus

[Fwd: [BIRDING-AUS] Welcome Swallow]

To: "" <>
Subject: [Fwd: [BIRDING-AUS] Welcome Swallow]
From: Brian Fleming <>
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2001 12:08:51 +1100
I forgot to send this on to birding-aus, but this gives me chance to add
that the Ancient Greek 'xenos' in Gould's scientific name 'neoxenos'
means both 'stranger' and 'guest'. A hospitable people, then and now.

As so many of our birds were given their official monickers by Gould,
it's always worth checking the Handbook.
Anthea Fleming