birding-aus

Ferals Vandalise Sydney Golf Course

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: Ferals Vandalise Sydney Golf Course
From: "Bob Way" <>
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2001 18:26:53 +1100

I played a friendly game of golf at the Kellyville Country Club (in the Sydney Hills District) last week. At one green I arrived to find that the grass at the edge of the cup had been torn to shreds and was lying around in clumps - the diameter of the cup had, effectively, been doubled. The culprit had to be amongst the dozen or so Long-billed Corellas feeding on the nearby fairway - they have become a permanent feature on the course of recent times.

The plastic cylinder which forms part of the cup is recessed about 20mm below the surface of the green - this allows it to support the surrounding soil without interfering with the path of the ball into the cup. The exposed edge of soil and grass must represent a tempting target for a bird that ventures close.

I repaired the green as best I could, noting that if we had been playing in a competition I would be prevented from doing so by the rules of golf (I would only be permitted to remove the loose material on the green).

Damage of this nature materially affects the game and, I presume, will not be tolerated by the Club. For the sake of our feral friends I hope that this was a one-off discretion.

Bob Way