birding-aus

Arctic Skua at Werribee

To: <>, "Joy Tansey" <>
Subject: Arctic Skua at Werribee
From: "Neville Pamment" <>
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2001 20:01:31 +1100

    A group of 9 braved the horrendous conditions for the 'Waders for Beginners' outing at Werribee today... The highlight of the trip occured at the 145 west drain outlet.         As  we crossed the strip of beach, a skua flew past....  My guess is that it was an Arctic Jaegar, particularly given how close to shore it was. Any comment on how         likely this is so far up the bay, or other suggestions?

I have records of Arctic Jaeger at Werribee Farm for April 1984 (Kirk Point) and November 1987. Have also seen them from aboard the "Abel Tasman" within 200 metres of the pier at Port Melbourne (February 1992). As I don't do much seabird watching in these parts, I'd guess from this they are not particularly rare at the head of the bay.

Regards

Neville Pamment