birding-aus

Night observations of birds: RFI

To: birding-aus <>
Subject: Night observations of birds: RFI
From: jilldening <>
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2001 16:19:36 +1100
Hi all,

Can I begin this request for information by saying that I know nothing about
video cameras............

I would like to know if anyone has ever tried viewing birds at night using a
video camera with an infrared facility.

I have been on the phone and the net to a few places which sell camera
equipment, night vision optics, even a security company using surveillance
equipment, and am more confused than when I began. Except that I have
learned how little these people know about this subject, as it pertains to
our special needs.

Problem: we are missing terns which fly in after dark onto the Caloundra
sandbanks. The birds are a fair distance, say from 100m to 300m. We don't
need to capture images of the birds, only to be able to view them for ID and
counting purposes.

I am told that using fast B&W film in a SLR camera through the scope would
work, but would be too grainy. Besides, there is the time lag waiting for
developing. Night vision goggles are of very limited magnification (x1 to
x3) and we need the equivalent of our binos, x8.

Naturally we don't have unlimited funds either, but I would still like to
know if anyone has ever done it.

cheers

Jill