birding-aus

Werribee Arctic Jaegar?

To: <>
Subject: Werribee Arctic Jaegar?
From: "Joy Tansey" <>
Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2001 19:22:53 +1100
A group of 9 braved the horrendous conditions for the 'Waders for Beginners' outing at Werribee today. Bouts of torrential rain and gale force southerlies blowing off the bay meant hanging on to your scope was a priority, and everything was surfing. The five pommies in the group felt right at home.

Despite the conditions, 51 species were seen - athough a lower than normal number enough to keep the group happy. Missing were some of the more unusual specialties such as Freckled Duck and Glossy Ibis, but most of the regulars were present - Golden Plover, Banded Stilt, Avocet, Greenshank, Sharpie, etc. They were just harder to find.

The highlight of the trip occured at the 145 west drain outlet. As we crossed the strip of beach, a skua flew past.  Only about 50 - 80 meters off shore, it had long narrowish wings, briefly seen extended central tail feathers and a generally dark colouring underneath with some mottling and some white at the base of the primaries. Whilst it flew past, of course another downpour occurred and the wind got stronger making ID even more difficult. The view was mostly of the underneath as it banked. I didn't notice a dark cap. My guess is that it was an Arctic Jaegar, particularly given how close to shore it was. Any comment on how likely this is so far up the bay, or other suggestions?

cheers,

Joy Tansey
Kensington, Victoria