birding-aus

Fire brigade alarm

To: "Birding-aus" <>
Subject: Fire brigade alarm
From: "Doug Holly" <>
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2001 15:57:00 +1030
I spent 28 years in SA Metro Fire Brigade and one call I attended in the 25m Snorkel was to rescue a Sulphur-crested Cockatoo caught in the top of a Red Gum, by the chain on it's leg, the RSPCA had spent two days trying to rescue it, one method, trying to shoot through the limb ( this was back in the 70s) they thought that the Fire Service would not be interested, I happened to be in charge of the incident, and we used it as a training exercise but the disappointing thing was that while we were setting up the appliance poor cockie "fell off his perch"  so close to rescue he died and all we could do was to retrieve the body, it was sad to think that we could have easily done the job two days earlier.....so a lesson to all out there...the Fire Service will help out in many situations, and in SA it is a free service, and it is probably the same all over Oz.
Doug Holly