birding-aus

Lotsa Freckled Ducks

To: "Birding-aus" <>
Subject: Lotsa Freckled Ducks
From: "Bob & Sadhana Cook" <>
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2001 08:44:26 +1100 (EST)
At Mildura Sewerage Pond on Thursday, 15th.  I missed these earlier this year
when they left a couple of days before I got there.  This time, they have just
arrived in the last few days.  Around 6 p.m. last evening I counted between 190
and 200 Freckled Duck, about 3/4 of them in one group very close to the edge
from where I was observing.

Also on the (very crowded) pond were 100's of Grey & Chestnut Teal, 100's of
Hardhead, more than 1000 Coots, around 150 Black Swan - some with chicks, a few
Mallards and PB Ducks, three Pink-eared and a solitary Blue-billed looking a
bit out of place.  Several Musk Duck also reported there this week, but I
couldn't find them.

There were about 50 of the ubiquitous Black-tailed Chooks, a few Black-winged
Stilts, several Whiskered Terns, Swamp Harrier, pair of Whistling Kites and a
solitary (probably Great) Egret.  Also an inquisitive Brown Snake!!  I only got
to scan about two thirds of the pond, missing a lot of the shallower margins,
so you can extrapolate from the above figures to get indicative totals.

This is a great spot - if you can get there - Les, the caretaker, is very
friendly (only cost me a six-pack of Fosters to get in!).

Bob Cook
Mildura Vic