birding-aus

Scaly-breasted Lorikeet~~G'day Michael and Martin

To: Birding-Aus <>
Subject: Scaly-breasted Lorikeet~~G'day Michael and Martin
From: John Gamblin <>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2001 16:01:55 -0800 (PST)
G'day Michael Norris and Martin O'Brien,

Michael:
I've also got, along with the two protected Scaly
Breasted Lorikeets, they must be protected birds it
would seem? not only by Oz laws but by the Rainbow
Lorikeets that they fly with, these that call down to
my place in the early morning sunrise, not the later
arrivals.

The two adult Sulphur Crested Cockatoo's who also call
in but about 30 minutes later, after true sun-up, not
by the light of the flaring refinery, these are not
small birds, as many of you would know and when they
land, wings outstretched I lose nearly all my early
morning front room sunlight, amazingly these are loved
by many of my neighbors, they are rare in my neck of
the pen. So I thought what is causing their new
unusual location berth?

Martin:
Would there be a growth in numbers of the Sulphur
Crested Cockatoo's on French Island? it's a very short
flight to where I live on the Pen? :^D nice to live on
it and not in it eh? :^D are the numbers such that
they are now seeking food and sustainance on the pen?

 wrote:

Hi all,

A postscript which may interest some of our younger
listeners.

Listeners?????? Oh oh Mike's got severe stress :-]
quick everyone rush over to him, lay him down in a
sundrenched sunlounger, place a cool fruit cocktail in
his hand, make him think of his "Buckland Hard" the
poor chap.

Back in the 1950s there was this alternative to the
Twitchathon - the World Bird Day counts, compiled by
Roy Wheeler (who deserved even more medals than he
got). Look at his records to see what he did without a
computer!

Pssst how do we get a copy? with only our Vicpeso's in
out pockets senor?

Two eminent birdos-Bryan Mitchell and Barbara Salter-
organised such counts in roughly the Bayside City
Council area on 7 occasions in the 1950s. The results,
published in - or as supplements to, the Bird Observer
Notes show the AMAZING (to me) FACT that:

14,000 birds were counted - but NOT ONE PARROT

Gee Mike that's an awlful lot of fingers and toes? or
did they use an ABBA cus :-]

So 50 years ago it would not just have been
Scaly-breasted Lorikeets that would have warranted
interest but rosellas, galahs, .....

Rosella's flying with Galah's? really!!!!! :-]

However there are 11 parrot species on our pre-1960
list.

Must cost heaps to get a copy eh? :^D and on YOUR/OUR
list, careful Mike your ageing yourself hehehe

It does not include the white cockatoos (3 species
seen, for example, this year).

I ask Michael Norris and Martin O'Brien, am I wrong to
be thinking "I'm convinced the Upper Class Sulphur
Crested Cocky's on French Island, just MAYBE? eating
themselves out of house and home? or is the Koala
restocking program having an effect on the Cocky's
spreading to locate their food? it's a very short
flight from there to here afterall, despite the water
between.

Tune in later for another trilling episode of "Turn
off the walter cock"

John A. Gamblin (Wattaday!) no wonder I love Oz and
it's birds.