birding-aus

Brawling Birds

To: <>
Subject: Brawling Birds
From: "Julie Lynn McLaren" <>
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2001 10:10:23 +0930
I read Terry Pacey's comments on the brawling Rainbow Lorikeets with interest.I have an introduced eucalypt in my garden and each year when it flowers, the Blue-faced Honeyeaters take possession of it.No other bird appears to go near it while they are in residence. To me they seem to spend more time chasing away members of their own family than they do feeding, no doubt this isn't the case. For probably about 10 days the only birds in this tree are the Bluefaces.
My baby fostered Pardalotes were unfortunately victims of a cyclonic storm we had about a week ago, they weren't the only ones.We had  dead and half dead baby birds all over the lawn, along with destroyed nests.Up until then the Pardalotes were doing really well and Willie was a very attentive parent.
The Whitewood{Atalaya hemiglauca}* trees have just finished flowering. They are the most graceful looking trees[along with the Leopardwoods{Flindersia maculosa}*] out here, and when they are in flower they look like lace with a white lace tablecloth underneath, from the dropped blossoms.The Wild orange{Capparis spinosa}* trees are flowering now and at dusk the perfume emanating from them is beautiful. A bit like a citrus but nowhere near as strong, a much "gentler"scent.
We've had a few falls of rain in the last month and the landscape has gone from red to green, we're hearing the Brolgas again and the Major Mitchell's are in abundance. I can hear them calling as they fly overhead as I write.
Regards,
Julie
                                 * For the scientifically minded

Julie McLaren.