birding-aus

FNQ sightings

To: birding-aus <>
Subject: FNQ sightings
From: Phil Gregory <>
Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2001 16:01:33 +1000
Black Mountain Road, Kuranda. Pre-breakfast walk Nov 10
Cassowary one male and three 3 month old chicks at Cassowary House, where they are daily arrivals at the moment. The pending resumption of logging in the pine plantations down the road is a source of great concern, with speed limits being generally ignored by huge trucks in this nominal world heritage area. More on this topic anon.
Double-eyed Fig-Parrot, White-throated Needletail, Spectacled, Pied and White-eared Monarchs, Victoria's Riflebird, Lovely Fairywren, Barred Cuckoo-shrike.
Gould's Bronze-Cuckoo a male and a female, these being richly coloured on the chin and throat for once in contrast to the many intermediates we see locally. I also find the calls and songs indistinguishable between this and Little Bronze, and it breaks down totally in PNG.......
Recent visitors saw a Rufous Owl along the road here, the first record. My search gave a Papuan Frogmouth in the forest, and several Large-tailed Nightjars in the pines.
A Yellow-billed Spoonbill was with a Royal Spoonbill on a sand bar at the Barron River bridge just before the Kuranda turn-off all day on Nov. 2, the first record of either for my local area.
Phil Gregory
Cassowary House, Kuranda
web site www. cassowary-house.com.au.