birding-aus

Re: [Rosella hybrids

To: John Leonard <>
Subject: Re: [Rosella hybrids
From: John Harris or Jude Westrup <>
Date: Fri, 09 Nov 2001 19:29:34 +1000
John

About hybrids, many years ago about 1981-2, when my family kept birds
rather than looked at them I was cleaning out one of the aviaries which
contained a pair of Northern Rosella.  We had only got them together a
month or so earlier due to scarcity of females, when the female flew out
over my head.  Normally we would trap them again when they got hungry,
but we never saw the female again.  A friend, who knew we had lost it,
told us he had seen it with a flock of Eastern Rosellas about 12 months
later near where he worked.  He seemed to think that it had mated with
an ER and bred at least once.  Something a little different.

PS Dad was NOT happy!!!!!

John Harris
Brisbane