birding-aus

Murarrie

To: birding-aus <>
Subject: Murarrie
From: REID Colin <>
Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2001 11:01:15 +1000
An update on the Murarrie ponds, AKA KR Ponds, Brisbane, following my
enquiry last week and a visit on Sunday.

The ponds are to be redeveloped to make way for a new road for the Port of
Brisbane to connect to the Gateway Bridge. A much needed improvement, I have
to honestly admit, but a sad loss to the area. If only other options could
have been found.
        Reviewing my bird lists from '81 and '83 the numbers and species
have dramatically reduced. I had Pink eared duck with young, Pied Stilt's
nest and eggs and once a Pied Goose and there are still many Little
Grassbirds, Golden Headed Cisticolas and Reed Warblers breeding. Along with
too, I have been advised, Ospreys, Brown Goshawk and Red Rumped Parrots. The
overall birding list is incredible for such a, relatively small,
industry/residentially surrounded area. Visiting yesterday 10 Pied/Black
Winged Stilts, 40-50 Grey and Chestnut Teal, 5 Sharp tailed Sands, 1 Marsh
Sand and 1 Common Sand, 4 Black Fronted Dotterels, 2 Rd Kneed Dotterels, 1
Osprey, 1 Whistling and 1 Brahminy Kite. The nesting log the White Breasted
Wood swallows have used since the early 80s is currently unoccupied, but had
a brood in Sept.. I wonder where the Grassbirds, Double barred Finches,
Warblers etc will go now? I don't think I will visit again and I was
probably the last private car to access the area - as I left the workmen
were installing concrete barriers on the road's edge to prevent access and
guide the traffic. It will still be 'walkable' I would think, but two dirt
roads have been pushed in to the lake's edge and it's not looking good.
        On a brighter note - the Baillon's Crakes and Black Backed/Little
Bittern at Minnippi parklands were great and exploration of a conserved
marsh/swamp area up Lytton road helped lift the day.

Colin
H (07) 3420 3963  0412522962
B (07) 3407 6247 Fax (07) 3407 6206

This email message (including any file attachments transmitted with it)
confidential and legally privileged information. Any unauthorised
review, use, alteration, disclosure or distribution of this email
(including any attachments) by an unintended recipient is prohibited.
If you have received this email in error, please notify the sender by
return email and destroy all copies of the original message.

Any confidential or legal professional privilege is not waived
or lost by any mistaken delivery of the email.

ENERGEX accepts no responsibility for the content of any email
which is sent by an employee which is of a personal nature.