birding-aus

Little Bittern attempt #648

To: <>
Subject: Little Bittern attempt #648
From: "Andrew Stafford" <>
Date: Sat, 3 Nov 2001 16:22:24 +1100
For those who have followed this saga in the past, an update:

After returning from Ashmore Reef, came back to a swathe of emails claiming Little Bitterns (aka mythical beastie) at both Minnipee Wetlands and Sherwood Arboretum in Brisbane.

"Here we go again," thought I, and this morning I made my first of what I presumed would be my usual series of fruitless pilgrimages in search of this alleged bird (aka ixobrychus extinctus)

Met up with Tom Tarrant at Minnipee at an unseemly hour. Birding was good, with Red-kneed Dotterels, Baillon's Crakes - this is a big spring for Baillon's in Brisbane - but no Bitterns (aka feathered figment)

After a relaxed coffee (why hurry for a bird that doesn't exist?) we headed west for the more usual haunt of Sherwood Arboretum (aka second home). It's great at Sherwood at the moment anyway - dry conditions have brought an influx of birds more usually found further inland into Brisbane.

More Baillon's, 3 Hardhead (unusual here) several Little Grassbirds and a White-winged Triller. Right. To the reeds then in search of the Bittern (aka crock of dog poo).

So I'm strolling casually along the bank eyeing the vegetation without too much effort, momentarily turn my head AND THERE'S THIS THING LEAPING CLEAR OF THE REEDS WITH TRAILING LEGS AND BIG BUFF WING PANELS AAAARRRGGHH!

It settled on an horizontal, broken reed stem, right in the open thanguverrymuch and just... sits there. For two minutes. And then just strolls back into the reeds again.

Anyways, I pinch myself three times to check that I'm awake, and off we go again ... more Baillon's, no Bush Hen, and oh well after about three quarters of an hour we're back at the spot and there's ANOTHER no-longer-quite-so-mythical-beastie barely 25 metres from where the first one was, this time an immaculate adult male with a black back, and he's just... sitting there.

And then he's poking his way along, picking off the odd tadpole or whatever, and soon the female's sitting out in the open again, and I'm just looking from one to the other and back again and, well, in the end we had to leave them both behind because there's only so many hours in the day, y'know?

Life is good.

Cheers, AS