birding-aus

Birds save tree.

To: "birds" <>
Subject: Birds save tree.
From: "Tony Russell" <>
Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2001 17:38:53 +1030
It's not often that birders in Adelaide would consider a Noisy Miner very
useful, but, this afternoon some jockeys with a bobcat were ripping up a
neighbour's garden just up the street from my place. They had their eyes on
a large above ground root from a 30ft tree with beaut yellow flowers  -
lawn was to be more important you see.
Problem was the tree  ( note present tense---->) is on the footpath area and
that makes it a council property item.  Council inspector duly arrives and
decides the tree can be dispensed with ( for the sake of a bit of grass
would you believe).
Then Tony notices a bird, a Noisy Miner, swoop into the tree. Having
birders' disease I just have to find it and see what it's up to, and, lo,
there it is at a nest feeding young, with lots of little yellow beaks
pleading for food.
Of course I pointed this out to all present , especially the lady of the
house,and that settled the matter - cut off the root but leave the tree
which hopefully has sufficient other roots to keep it going.
Even the neighbour is still speaking to me.
Tony.

email: