birding-aus

Painted Snipe - Banyule and Melbourne Museum.

To: <>
Subject: Painted Snipe - Banyule and Melbourne Museum.
From: "Paul Rose" <>
Date: Fri, 02 Nov 2001 09:51:58 +1100
To continue the Painted Snipe sightings.
I observed the immature female bird preening and roosting for over an hour on Wednesday.  My late posting comes as a result of visiting the Melbourne Museum the last few days with year 8 students from Wesley.
Thank you in particular to Anthea Fleming whose directions to picking out the bird were nothing less than perfect.  For anyone still to visit please take the opportunity to sit on the white bucket I left in position for you and follow these directions to viewing the bird :
Quote from Anthea's e-mail ....

There's a dead tree on the (west) bank. Below this on the shore is a very
healthy green bunch of weed (possibly Oxtongue Thistle). To the right is
a single Dock plant (duller pointed paired leaves), a small gap and a
row of other Dock plants. The bird lurks and skulks in this gap behind
some palish dead bits of bulrush with more behind. The youngish Late
Black Wattle with a bit of flower is behind, up the bank.
I have only seen it skulking. Apparently, if there's a sunny break, it
is inclined to come out for a bit and sun itself on the bank.

Re the Museum :

I noticed several specimens in the Northern Hemisphere showcase that were incorrectly labelled.  Had to nick off and study the bird exhibits while the kids were having lunch.  I notified the museum staff who were very appreciative.  There are also sev eral specimens of White-browed babbler on display (three to be precise) and I had my doubts about the third one, that is the bottom one of the three in a column.  If anyone else has a look who has more babbler experience than I can you check why it is not a chestnut-crowned babbler.  I wasn't confident given the fading that has occurred with the specimen.  I was most certain of the North American species that needed changing.

Cheers for now and happy birding,

Paul