birding-aus

Painted Snipe at Mount Isa

To: "Messages Birding-aus" <>
Subject: Painted Snipe at Mount Isa
From: "Bob Forsyth" <>
Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2001 12:40:20 +1000
g'day all,
A group of birdwatchers led by Clive Meadows of the NSW Field Ornithologists Club are staying at the Moondarra Caravan Park. They are just completing a tour operated by Mark Wardrop's Outback Track Tours.

During yesterday's lunch break Adrian O'Neill (also FOC) and Clive went for a walk along the West Leichhardt River. Within 200 metres Adrian spotted a single male Painted Snipe. The good chaps returned to the park and told the rest of us. Delaying the afternoon trip to Mica Ck we followed Clive and Adrian to where within minutes the bird was flushed several times to a location where we all got views of it with my 'scope feeding at the edge of a pool.

Last year on the western shores of the lake I saw the PS 3 times (the first with a BOCA tagalong group) ... and the last date being 12/10/00

Later on in the day Dusky Grasswrens (Hortons' Ballara Grasswren) were sighted by 2 of the party.

The previous day at the Sewage Ponds we saw some irregular visitors to the Isa...
... a pair of Black-tailed Native-hens
... several Great (black) Cormorants

At the lake in spite of a big fishing competition we saw Wandering Whistling-duck, Plumed Whistling-duck,  Green Pygmy-goose, Jacana's, 3 species of Ibis and the 4 inland species of Egrets ..  The recent rains stopped us getting to the western shores of the lake where there are numbers of Jabiru, Bustards, Black Swans plus various resting waders.

Regards, Bob Forsyth, Mount Isa, NW Qld.