birding-aus

lunch-time twitching - the Painted Snipe

Subject: lunch-time twitching - the Painted Snipe
From: "Peter S. Lansley" <>
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2001 14:17:00 +1000
Hi all,
thanks to Gina Hopkins and now Celia Browne, another three observers, myself, Geoff Price & Ann Williamson, have just seen the Painted Snipe, in full sunlight in telescope at Banyule Flats Heidelberg, Melbourne [Melway ref. 32 F1], at 12: 35 - 12:50 hours today. For those with a GPS the co-ords are: 37d44m51s S, 145d05m15s E.

However we have just looked up HANZAB 2 (p. 640) and it would seem that we were looking at an immature female-plumaged bird, on the basis of lacking the distinct golden-buff spotting on the wings. It was clearly not an adult female bird having creamy eye-patch and crown stripe rather than white and lacking the brighter chestnut tones on the head and neck. It would be good to have confirmation of this; there is also the possibility of the two-bird-theory coming into play. The bird was in much the same area as Celia reported, on the mud directly across from the northern end where we set up the 'scope inside the fence.

Cheerio.

Peter Lansley
Network Administrator and Section Editor, HANZAB
Birds Australia
415 Riversdale Rd, Hawthorn East, 3123
ph: (03) 9882 2622, Fax: (03) 9882 2677