birding-aus

Re: Escaping Birds

Subject: Re: Escaping Birds
From: Brian Fleming <>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2001 18:20:07 +1000
Ian Clayton remaked that birds seem to fly upwards even though DOWN is
the way out.

We had a similar experience when returning home from a weekend away we
found a bat in the sitting room; no idea how it got there. It proceeded
to do figure 8s around the room even though there was a double door to
the hall, and the outside door was open. I flapped a tea-towel at it. It
turned on its sonar, found the open door, and exited. I presume that
having determined the size and shape of the room it felt that it didn't
need any more information.

"You don't need to be very smart to beat a horse. Just smarter than the
horse!"

Brian Fleming
Ivanhoe, where the last of the Gang Gangs flew over ten days ago. <SOB>