birding-aus

[no subject]

From: "Peter Ewin" <>
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2001 18:50:10 +1000
This is a report for my recent trip to Western Australia. It is mainly included to be added to the archives. I used Frank O?Connor?s website (http://members..iinet.net.au/~foconnor/index.html) extensively to determine locations, as well information provided to Birding-Aus by Rod Gardner, Edwin Vella, Michael Hunter and David Cooper. Without the information my trip would not been as successful, so thanks to all for providing the information. Also used the ever useful Thomas & Thomas, though did not use it as often as I have in other states.

In just over three weeks, travelled just over 7100 kilometres, saw exactly 200 species, with 23 new species and quite a few seen for only the second time. This included all the south west endemics, including, fortunately, the ?big three? around Two People?s Bay and the recently split Shrike-tit and Fieldwren. Whilst I am birdwatching, I regularly stop in roadside vegetation and often drive down side roads, so some of my notes may be a little vague. However, if anyone wants specific details, do not hesitate to contact me and I will try and provide extra details.

The report will be split into three files. The first lists my itinerary, with the other two list each species individually, broken into Non-Passerines and Passerines for size reasons. I apologise if this makes the files large, but I found this very useful for targeting species. I will also list any interesting mammals/reptiles recorded in this file. The numbers at the end of each day represent daily count/trip ticks/trip count/lifers.

Day 1 ? 18th August ? Perth
After arriving late the previous night, this day was really just a case of settling in. Stayed at a friend?s place in Perth (Bulls Creek) and picked up a hire car from Fremantle. Spent a couple of hours walking around King?s Park. 33/33/33/1

Day 2 ? 19th August ? Rottnest Island
Rottnest Island, leaving from Fremantle wharf. Rode around the southern third of the island, visiting the Settlement, Salmon Bay, Geordie Bay, and the Golf Course. A number of Quokkas were seen, the easiest site being the Geordie Bay store. Bottlenose Dolphins were seen off the south coast. 40/16/49/3

Day 3 ? 20th August ? Wungong Dam/Bungedore Park/Dryandra
Left Perth, stopping first at Bibra Lake, before heading to Wungong Dam. Walked as far as the Gorge, before driving up the hill to Bungendore Park. Did the complete Casuarina Road loop, and then drove to Dryandra Reserve, via Pingelly (needed food which wasn?t available at either the towns marked on my map). Walked around the Village and Old Mill Dam areas, generally walking through the open woodland, until reaching the cleared fence. Went to arboretum late in the afternoon, before spotlighting around the village. Saw 4 Echidnas and numerous Western Grey Kangaroos during the day, and spotlit 5 Common Brushtail Possums and 1 (very rapid) Woylie (Brush-tailed Bettong) at night. 82/50/99/11

Day 4 ? 21st August ? Dryandra
Spent the day at Dryandra, walking the Ochre Trail before driving around the reserve (I had been told this is the best way to find Numbats, which it was with one seen briefly on Baaluc Road). Visited virtually every site listed on Frank O?Connor?s website, including the banding sites, Lol Grey Lookout, and the Gura Road Junction. 51/7/106/13

Day 5 ? 22nd August ? Dryandra/Dunsborough
Left Dryandra early, heading south to Narrogin then through Collie and Donnybrook through to Busselton. Followed the coast road through to Dunsborough (where I stayed) and visited Leeuwin-Naturaliste NP (Sugarloaf Rock and Cape Naturaliste). 71/12/118/13

Day 6 ? 23rd August ? Dunsborough/Augusta/Pemberton
The weather was fairly wet and wild, so spent a lot of time in the car this day. Revisited Sugarloaf Rock, before following the Caves Road to Augusta, stopping briefly at Boranup Forest to get drenched. Visited Cape Leeuwin before continuing on to Pemberton, stopping at Beedleup Falls on the way. Visited Bicentennial (Warren NP) and the Gloucester Trees late in afternoon. These trees are well worth a visit, even if not birdwatching. 48/6/124/13

Day 7 ? 24th August ? Pemberton/Walpole
Drove via Manjimup to Muirs Lake to look for Western Corella, then cut back through Northcliffe to Cape D?Entrecasteaux. Then through the Shannon NP forest drive and on to Walpole. Visited the Valley of the Giants, plus Mandalay Beach late in the afternoon, where the wreck was visible. 44/1/125/14

Day 8 ? 25th August ? Walpole/Albany/Two People?s Bay
Left Walpole early on the way to Albany, stopping at William Bay NP and driving via Elleker and the coast road. Went to various spots around Albany (Quaranup Rd, the Gap and Goode Beach). In the afternoon visited Two People?s Bay, stopping in the Kalgan River area. At Two People?s Bay, I first talked to the CALM staff (who had a tape of calls which helped immensely) and then spent a few hours around the Little Beach area. 57/6/131/14

Day 9 ? 26th August ? Two People?s Bay
Spent the day at Two People?s Bay, with early morning at Little Beach area, then on to ?King Wave Gully? as the local staff called the site listed by Frank O?Connor (the site off Sinker Reef track). This is on the edge of the ?Research Area? which is closed, so if you want to go here, the staff should be asked first. Walked to Sinker Reef, before once again returning to Little Beach (all the effort was eventually worth it). Startled a Quenda (Southern Brown Bandicoot) early in the morning at Little Beach. 45/2/133/16

Day 10 ? 27th August ? Waychinicup NP/Porongorups NP
Left Albany to head to Waychinicup NP, visiting the main camping area. Was intending to camp here, but after tracking the Scrub-bird down within half an hour of arriving, decided to head north to gain a day so I could get to Carnarvon. Went via back roads towards the Porongorups, where I went to Tree-in-the-Rock picnic area, and walked the Nancy?s Peak loop. Saw another Quenda on this walk, and saw King Skinks at Waychinicup and Shinglebacks on the roads. 54/2/135/17

Day 11 ? 28th August ? Stirling Ranges NP
Drove to the Stirling Ranges NP where first did the Ongarup Creek Walk, before driving the central trail, and back along the northern boundary. Much of the park has been burnt, so much of the vegetation was low regrowth. Later in the afternoon did the Kanga Walk. 65/3/138/18

Day 12 ? 29th August ? Stirling Ranges NP/Fitzgerald River/Hopetoun
Did part of the Ongarup walk early in the morning before climbing Bluff Knoll. Unfortunately, a cold front passed through, so the top was covered in cloud (and strong wind) and the rest of the day was chased by rain. Drove north, before heading to Jerramungup and then Ravensthorpe, stopping briefly at the Fitzgerald River crossing. Was originally going to camp here, but the weather was terrible so spent the night in a hotel in Hopetoun. Saw a Western Brush Wallaby in the Ongarup Walk. 65/4/142/18

Day 13 ? 30th August ? Wave Rock/Northam
This was one of the days I intended to make my way north as quickly as possible, covering over 700km. Was going to drive via Fitzgerald River NP, but the weather was too risky, so drove via Lake King, stopping at Wave Rock, before travelling through Kondinin and Merredin. Then drove the Great Eastern Highway, through Kellerberrin to Northam. Went for a short drive in the afternoon around the town, including the weir. 62/7/149/19

Day 14 ? 31st August ? Moora/Dongara/Geraldton
Drove through the wheat belt, via New Norcia, Moora, Carnamah and Eneabba, stopping at various patches of bush along the way. Had lunch at Dongara, before continuing on to Geraldton. Before staying at another friend?s place drove to the Greenough River on the Mullewa Road. 70/6/155/19

Day 15 ? 1st September ? New Beach/Carnarvon
Went from Geraldton north, stopping at a number of spots, until reaching New Beach, south of Carnarvon. Continued on to this town and went to various spots around town. 75/22/177/22

Day 16 ? 2nd September ? New Beach/Denham
After visiting the mangroves at the harbour and walking along the mile long jetty, then headed south again. Stopped again at New Beach, before continuing on to Denham, via Hamelin Pools. Went to Monkey Mia, but didn?t go to the Dolphin area. Birdwatched at a few of the scenic areas along Shark Bay. Picked a Thorny Devil off the road on the way into Denham. 61/6/183/23

Day 17 ? 3rd September ? Denham/Monkey Mia
Stayed around the Denham/Monkey Mia area, including a cruise to see Dugong and Bottlenose Dolphins, including the feeding at 12 o?clock. Walked around the Little Lagoon and visited the ?Peron? homestead. 39/3/186/23

Day 18 ? 4th September ? Murchison River/Kalbarri
Went to wader roosts near Denham, before once again heading south. Stopped at the Murchison River crossing again, before heading towards Kalbarri. Stopped at Hawks Head and Ross Graham Lookouts, before stopping in town. Headed up to Meanarra Hill at sunset. 67/6/192/23

Day 19 ? 5th September ? Kalbarri NP
Visited Meanarra Hill at dawn, before heading out to Kalbarri NP again. Went to The Loop and Z Bend, finding another Moloch on the road. After lunch visited the Murchison River, before heading to various sites along the road, south of Kalbarri, including Eagle Bluff. Even though the wind was picking up, a number of Humpback Whales were seen off the coast. 65/3/195/23

Day 20 ? 6th September ? Geraldton/Cervantes
Drove south from Kalbarri, on the coast road to Northampton through Geraldton, then again following the coast through Leeman, Jurien and to Cervantes. Though the wind was very strong, visited the Pinnacles, before looking at a few spots around town. 60/3/198/23

Day 21 ? 7th September ? The Pinnacles/Yanchep NP/Herdsman Lake
Visited out to the Pinnacles again early, before heading back inland to the main Brand Highway. Headed south, before turning towards the coast and travelling to Lancelin. Followed the coast road through Two Rocks and Yanchep NP, where I walked around the lake and various caves. Drove through the northern suburbs of Perth stopping at Lakes Herdsman (both northern and southern shores) and Monger, before heading back to Bulls Creek. 82/2/200/23

Day 22 ? 8th September ? Perth
This was the last day in Perth and I stayed around Bulls Creek after dropping the hire car back, watching the Aussie Rules finals. The only day I didn?t add a new species for the trip, though I wasn?t really trying. 17/0/200/23

As a final point a few species that were missed that might have been expected during the trip included Eastern Reef Egret, White-bellied Sea-eagle, Peregrine Falcon, Hooded Plover, Red-necked Avocet, Fairy Tern, Rainbow Bee-eater, Orange Chat and Torresian Crow (though the last was probably overlooked).