birding-aus

Searching for King Quail

To: <>
Subject: Searching for King Quail
From: "Alan Morris" <>
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2001 14:34:11 +1000
Hi Birders,
The question has been asked as to how to search for King Quail and the answer is, with a well trained quail (gun) dog!

Many years ago, almost in another life, I was involved in quail studies with the Divison of Wildlife Research CSIRO. I had my trusty German Shorthaired Pointer to point and then retrieve the quail shot! However the dog was just as effective finding the birds when you did not need to shoot them, for as on command, the dog would flush the bird it was pointing and the quail would fly off, and the dog would give you a very reproachful look but not chase the bird! I was able to use this method to find King Quail in lucerne paddocks in the Kyogle District, about the only area I ever found King Quail in the field. I ofcourse found plenty of Stubble, Brown, Red-chested & Little Button-quail in the grasslands and wheat stubbles of NSW. I would suggest that using a well trained pointer/retriever, could be the answer to seeing if King Quail were present in areas of French Island.

From my expereince, the method of dragging a rope between two people is not that effective because  some of the quail will run ahead of you and so don't necessarily flush because they have gone.

Alan Morris