birding-aus

Red Wattlebird in Manly?

To: Birding-Aus <>
Subject: Red Wattlebird in Manly?
From: Kiran Krishna <>
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2001 14:32:56 +1000 (EST)
Hello all,

  I am not entirely sure of this, but I can't see what else it can be. As
I was sitting down to breakfast this morning, I saw a big curved beaked
bird on the red bottlebrush in the neighbour's house. I and my brother had
a long look at it, but it took me a few minutes to get to my Slater's.
This bird was alone, and it was wandering from brush to brush, much like
the Rainbow Lorikeet with which it was sharing the tree, except that (I
conjectured) they were responsible for the large number of bald brushes I
saw. Most Rainbow Lorikeets I have seen jump from brush to brush fairly
rapidly, not staying at any one place for very long. Some time later, a
flock of birds flew over that I assumed to be the same species (unless
this bird was scared off the tree) and 'our' wattlebird joined the rest.
My only worry is that I didn't notice a prominent yellow patch on the
underbelly that my Slater's shows. Also, I have no intrinsic idea of how
large these birds would be. My bird was about the size of a currawong
(except a currawong would have to be stretched out). My identifying
features were the size, the size and shape of the bill, and the overall
colouring. I had a sensation of red when I first saw it, but this might
very well have been the bottlebrush. If anyone can confirm my sighting or
suggest what else it could be, I would be much obliged....

Kiran Krishna
3rd yr physics
(Falkiner High Energy Physics)
University of Sydney
NSW 2006

Home is so sad. It stays as it was left,
Shaped to the comfort of the last to go
As if to win them back. Instead, bereft
Of anyone to please, it withers so,
Having no heart to put aside the theft

And turn again to what it started as,
A joyous shot at how things ought to be,
Long fallen wide. You can see how it was:
Look at the pictures and the cutlery.
The music in the piano stool. That vase.

     - Home is so sad, Philip Larkin

http://www.physics.usyd.edu.au/hienergy

http://www.physics.usyd.edu.au/~kiran