birding-aus

GPS accuracy

Subject: GPS accuracy
From: Steve <>
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2001 19:16:53 +1000
G'day all

My Etrex (like other, modern 12 channel GPS receivers) is rated to 15
metres accuracy and often shows better.  Certainly, you can find your
car with much better accuracy than 50m.  Navigating to my house in the
car is good enough to tell you which side of the street and which house.

Accuracy depends on the positioning of the satellites and tree cover.
The satellite screen can be used to aim the unit at satellites shielded
by your body - i.e. better accuracy can be obtained just by facing in
the right direction.  In Darwin recently, much closer to the equator
than southern Victoria, I was regularly locking onto 7-8 satellites.
Typically only 3-4 down here.

Truly amazing gadgets.  Did you know that they take into account
Einstein's theory of relativity?
Lots of fun too.

Cheers

Steve Clark