birding-aus

re: Brisbane Pectoral Sandpiper

To: <>
Subject: re: Brisbane Pectoral Sandpiper
From: "Robert Inglis" <>
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2001 16:47:43 -0700
Hello All,

Just a quick note to thank Greg Anderson for providing me with the incentive to
make the short trip from my place at Redcliffe to the Pine Rivers Park for a new
bird for my life list.
I mean the Pectoral Sandpiper, of course.

Dr Greg's directions (see below) were spot on and, although I didn't see all of
the species he mentioned in his posting, the Spotless Crake foraging around the
edges of the 'island' directly out from the Bryce Amphitheatre was a real bonus.
The Pectoral Sandpiper was found almost at the base of the amphitheatre
providing very good views for quite some time until it flew off to the distant
reach of that particular lagoon.
The amphitheatre is, as Greg says, a good place to begin observing .
It is also a good place to set up a scope to carefully observe the edges of the
'island' opposite for the Spotless Crake.
The crake did emerge momentarily but spent most of the time skulking in the
overhanging vegetation.

Pectoral Sandpipers have been reported in this park sometime ago.
Unfortunately, I don't have the details.

Bob Inglis
Woody Point
Qld.