birding-aus

using GPS units for not getting lost in the scrub

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: using GPS units for not getting lost in the scrub
From: "Marlene Lyell" <>
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2001 12:44:30 +1000

> I think it's foolhardy indeed to venture off into the middle of nowhere
with
> ONLY a GPS as guidance.  What if the batteries go flat or you drop it and
break
> it!!??  Always carry a compass as well (and know how to use it!).  It's
tempting
> to rely solely on the GPS to return to base, but rather risky.  It's hard
> beat a good sense of direction, taking note of landmarks and position of
the
> sus/stars, backed up by GPS/compass.  Maps come in handy as well .....
>
> Hi All

  Ditto to Laurie's remarks...never rely solely on a GPS.  Ian (husband) has
completed an
off-shore navigation course and one of the messages driven home to the
participants was to always carry a compass.  Do not rely on a GPS.
The only thing worse than relying solely on a GPS would be to wander off at
Eulo bore on an overcast day and leave both the compass and GPS in
camp.....a 5 minute wander turned into a 3 hour journey and I still haven't
seen Halls Babblers.

Happy birding all
Marlene.