birding-aus

NSW & Qld trip

To: "Birding-Aus" <>
Subject: NSW & Qld trip
From: "J & C Krohn" <>
Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2001 21:34:01 +1000
Folks,

Just a quick note to thank collectively all those who helped with information and in other ways in terms of our five week family camping trip through NSW and southern Queensland.  I'll be in touch with people individually as soon as I can, once I've got all our lists sorted out.  We got home last Friday after a great trip with 265 bird species, plus assorted amphibians, reptiles, mammals, orchids, scenery, culture and various other entertainments.  Personally I picked up 29 new ticks (plus one scrub-tick - I guess there's a fly in every ointment), with highlights being Paradise Riflebird, Noisy Pitta, Marbled (Plumed) Frogmouth, Little Bronze-Cuckoo, Superb, Rose-crowned and Wompoo Fruit-Doves, White-headed Pigeon, Pacific Baza, Black-breasted Buzzard and Hall's Babbler.

I would very much appreciate advice/ suggestions on one identification problem.  I saw three or four Ground-Thrushes at Binna Burra (Lamington NP), but none well enough to confirm the visual field-marks that separate Bassian from Russet-tailed.  The birds certainly didn't look conspicuously different from the Bassian Thrushes I've seen often enough in Victoria.  I heard no calls that sounded like Bassian to me, but heard, just once, in the dawn chorus, a single call that sounded pretty close to the "Peee-pooo" of the Russet-tailed.  However, a bird-guide I met, who was leading a group of American birders, said that most of the Ground Thrushes would be Bassian, as Russet-tailed are very rare in Lamington NP, both at Binna Burra and at O'Reillys.  Naturally none of the birds I saw called while I was watching, so I'm at a bit of a loss to know what to put on my list.  Any thoughts would be most welcome.

Regards,

    Jack Krohn