birding-aus

Unknown ducks

To: "Birding-Aus" <>
Subject: Unknown ducks
From: "David Cameron" <>
Date: Sat, 6 Oct 2001 18:27:16 +1000
Hi Folks,

Today a friend and I did a little birding and I would like to report the sighting of some ducks I cannot identify. There were four of them on a farm dam near Lake Muirhead. If anyone wishes to check them out, the dam where we spotted the ducks is just west of where L. Muirhead is nearest the Yarram Gap Rd. I'm assuming they are some sort of domestic species but not having seen them before, I thought I'd post the sighting on Birding-Aus.

About 30-35 cm, they are only slightly larger (but a heavier build) than the Hoary-headed Grebe that was also on the dam. Dark brown/black bill. Brown forehead and crown fading to a brown stripe extending over the nape. Dark eye. White/cream chin, neck & throat blending into a mostly brown back, but with some paler markings. Chocolate brown breast and belly. Rump cream/brown with tail in an 'untidy' appearance. They are a diving duck. The voice was a single 'quack'. The plumage was generally 'fluffy' in appearance.

We observed the ducks for about 15 minutes and I first thought they might have been pink-eared ducks, but once viewed through the scope it was obvious they weren't.

Any ideas? ;-)

Cheers,

David Cameron
Hamilton