birding-aus

More plumheads!

To: "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: More plumheads!
From: "Bill Jolly" <>
Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2001 22:29:06 +1000
Just following up on the two Plum-headed Finches that were here the other
afternoon.

While we were on Nankeen Night-heron watch around 5 o'clock last night
(Friday) we noticed a high flying party of about 20 or so small finches
crossing the creek. I felt they had to be plumheads, but they were quite
distant, and we didn't follow-up immediately. Over the next ten minutes four
or five similar groups appeared from several directions, all dropping into
the same general area a couple of hundred meters from the house - so by now
of course, we had to investigate.

What we found was a steadily increasing roosting group of sixty or so
Plum-headed Finches. The experience of small high-flying parties dropping in
to the same general area was closely comparable to what we saw a week or so
back out in the Traprock country when we watched a roost of around 200
plumheads coming together in a reed bed. Of course, sixty birds at home is a
lot more than a couple of hundred somewhere else!

They returned tonight at about the same time.

We've had an Osprey here for five consecutive days now. Only for an hour or
so each day, it seems to have found a favourite limb on a tree just down
from the house.

Banded Lapwings and young are still dependable in the valley, and there are
several pairs of Ground Cuckoo-shrikes about, one refurbishing a nest
this-afternoon. Still large numbers of Cotton Pygmy-geese at Lake Atkinson.

Bill Jolly

"Abberton",
Lockyer Valley, Queensland.

Visit our website at http://www.abberton.org

Email:
Ph: (+61) 7 4697 6111  Fax: (+61) 7 4697 6056