birding-aus

Waders at Mount Isa

To: "Messages Birding-aus" <>
Subject: Waders at Mount Isa
From: "Bob Forsyth" <>
Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2001 11:37:12 +1000
g'day all,
I revisited "wide bay" at the lake yesterday to recheck the Grey Plover. I am now not completely sure.
They just could be American Golden Plover. The 2 birds that I saw yesterday were in a patchy plumage midway between non-breeding and breeding. The Field Guides, Hanzab, Lane, Johnsgard do not illustrate this changing period of a birds life. ...and I was unable to get a view of the underwing markings or get close enough to see if they had a rear toe.

Unfortunately my camera is away getting a service so unable to get photos...but I will return with my fingers crossed !

Other birds observed included....
... 4 Wandering Whistling-duck which were resting further along shore.They are only occasional visitors to  Mount Isa.
...and as I drove home around the edges of the bay I got a good positive view of 2 male Cotton Pygmy-goose. I believe this to be the first record of C P-g for this area ! They were swimming in floating grass about 15 metres from a small group of Green Pygmy-goose.

Regards, Bob Forsyth, Mount Isa, NW Qld.
ps Another irregular visitor, Red-necked Avocet (1) is at the sewage ponds.