birding-aus

Red-necked Stints in trouble

Subject: Red-necked Stints in trouble
From: Frank O'Connor <>
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2001 21:25:31 +0800
At 04:49 20/09/2001 -0700, Ian (aka Peter Cheuwon) wrote:
These people (the banders) are deluding themselves about the importance of
their banding data. A site is important if it is used by waders and if we know
that a bird was banded at Altona or Broome, it makes very little difference.

It makes a lot of difference. You won't have waders at Altona unless you protect them at all their migration stopover points. Leg flags are the most effective means of gathering this data now. We cannot afford to wait or these sites will be gone before we act, and the birds with them.

There is no objective evidence to show that banded birds perform worse than unbanded birds. There is no difference in mean weights within age cohorts.

And I strongly question the objectivity of the initial report. From the report, you would almost think that the flags were huge. I must admit that I looked at the date of the posting and the author ...