birding-aus

emus, elevation & fire

To: "Messages Birding-aus" <>
Subject: emus, elevation & fire
From: "Bob Forsyth" <>
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2001 10:26:23 +1000
g'day all,
Re Alex Appleman's comments on Emu sightings

Emu's were once recorded regularly in the Isa area but I saw my first local Emu (it had 4 Juv's in tow) only about 6 weeks back.

In the Boulia area and SE of Boulia recently, I saw many single birds (with Juv's) and groups . At Boulia itself, half a dozen birds were scratching around in a council shrubbery.

A few days ago I travelled up to within 70km of Burketown and I saw Emu's at various spots north from the Seymour River (which is just nth of Thorntonia Stn)

During a recent atlassing trip to a "square " in the NT (NNW of Camooweal) I did not see any Emu's

The birds were only seen in old growth vegetation.
Elevations..........approx !
Mount Isa area  340-450 m
Seymour River  220 m
Gregory River    100m
Boulia                 170m

Regards, Bob Forsyth, Mount Isa, NW Qld.