birding-aus

Bird list: Woodlands historic Park near Melbourne airport

To: Birding-Aus Mail <>
Subject: Bird list: Woodlands historic Park near Melbourne airport
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2001 18:37:59 +1000
Great place - and only 6 minutes drive from the Tullamarine
terminals !

Last Friday - my daughter's plane was delayed (again) - I went
to Woodlands (formerly Gellibrand) park for the first time. How
much better than MacDonalds as a way of waiting !  Tree Martins
close to the entrance and my car was the only one there.

Don't take people who have just arrived in Australia - they'll
be spoiled.  Save it as a last minute treat for those like Bill
Bryson who never saw a wild kangaroos all the time they were
here.  I saw 70+ Eastern Grey Kangaroos in 5 or 6 groups.

Today, after dropping H. at the airport, I went for a serious
walk and recorded  about 40 species including my first Weebill
and at least a pair of Red-capped Robins. The male(s) a complete
knock-out in fresh plumage.

Many thanks to Lawrie Conole for his postings about the park in
July and August 2000. I didn't find 14 or so of the species he
listed (perhaps because I started from the point nearest to the
airport - which is a long, long walk from the Red-capped Robin
area to the NE of Gellibrand Hill). They are not far from the NE
entrance which is a much longer drive from the airport.

But I did see some additional species:

     Australasian Grebe (4 birds, 2 sites)
     White-faced Heron (1 along the Moonee Ponds creek)
     White-necked Heron (1 flying low)
     Pallid Cuckoo (5? birds not far from the Woodlands
buildings)
     House Sparrow (by the creek and the Woodlands buildings)

Michael Norris