birding-aus

Central Australia Trip.

Subject: Central Australia Trip.
From: "Paul Jones" <>
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2001 19:27:56 +1000
Hi all,
While I am not putting up a species list for a recent trip from the Flinders
Ranges up the Oodnadatta track and across to Ayres Rock.  There where too many
species I didn't know.  Some experiences are worthwhile sharing.

Out of William Creek we stopped to chase a fox that was stalking some emus.
 However the emus (about 7) saw the fox and took off after it.  Chasing it in
a manner to what a group of farmers would heard cattle.  The emus soon caught
up with the fox and started pecking at it.  Unfortanately the fox escaped, but
the emus kept chasing and after about 5 minutes we lost sight of the fox, but
we presumed that the emus where still chasing the fox, until we lost site of
them as well.

At Warren Gorge in the Flinders Ranges, just after we had hoped  in our swags
for the night a large white bird possibly a night heron swooped down on an Irish
girl and landed briefly on the swag.

If anybody knows what species I am talking about here could they let me know.
 Between Finke and Kulgera (Just into the Northern Territory), while driving
at night there was quite a common bird stopped on the roads.  We saw one on
average about every 3 kilometres.  It was largish quite like an owl and
reflected
a grey white colour in the headlights.  I was in the back so didn't get a clear
view.

Wedge-tailed eagles where plentiful, which was a pleasing site.

2 places that I can highly recommend are Dalhousie Springs. A hot spring in
the middle of the dessert.  Birding was fairly good there, but after all the
dust a swim in 40degree waters is sensational.  The road in was ordinary.  About
a 3 hour drive for 70 km's.  The other spot is Painted Dessert National Park.
 Newly proclained it is really beautiful.  It is to the east of the Simpson.
 The birding wasn't great, as there was little vegetation, apart from along
Acharinka Creek.  Lots of birds there including wild flocks of budgies.  Heaps
 better then when they are in a cage.

A trip like this makes you realise how beautiful and varied Australia is, and
just how rare the forests are in the east.

Could write for hours on what was an amazing trip, so there is just a snippet.
 Take care and cheers,
Paul.