birding-aus

Bush Stone-Curlews at Collie NSW

To: <>
Subject: Bush Stone-Curlews at Collie NSW
From: "Alan Morris" <>
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2001 20:42:35 +1000
Hi Birders,
I was interested to read about the Bush Stone-curlews at Collie and please to know that they are still there. When I was the NPWS District Manager at Coonabarabran 1975-1982 I was very friendly with Bob McCulloch, of the property Berida Station, located midday between Gilgandra and Collie on Marthaguy Creek. Bob was a well known birdwatcher and in 1948 the NSW Gould League Camp was held on Berida, and he was a friend & contemporary of the noted ornithologist Arnold McGill. Not far from the homestead there was an undergrazed paddock that held two pairs of Bush Stone-curlews, and I saw them on a number of occasions. Bush Stone-curlews also were located by David Johnson on the TSR between Gilgandra and Coonamble mainly in the vicinity north of Gulargumbone during the same period. Bob died in the 1980's but his son (Peter?), is also interested in wildlife and may well also still have Bush Stone-curlews on his property.

For eight years there has been a single lonely Bush Stone-curlew living in the grounds of the State Forests Deport at Narooma. However it was mentioned in a recent issue of the Eurobodalla National History Society newsletter that after all this time the Narooma bird has finally found a mate and hopefully the birds may nest later this year. All the locals really wish this to be so. Hopefully some fox baiting there has already commenced!

In the meantime, the Brisbane Water Bush Stone-curlews continue to breed successfully at St Huberts Island, Saratoga and Davistown in their saltmarsh & mangrove  mudflats.

Alan Morris
Central Coast FOC