birding-aus

Bendigo birding

Subject: Bendigo birding
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2001 19:01:50 +1100

G'day all,

Just a brief update on the birding situation in Bendigo, for those interested.
Late yesterday, I visited the Woodvale Evaporation Ponds and was welcomed by
reasonable numbers and species of waders (yippee, they're back again!).  I saw
about 60 Sharp-tailed SP, 50 Red-necked Stint, 30 Black-fronted Plover, 50
Red-capped Plover, 20 Red-kneed Dotterel, 1 Common Greenshank and 1 Curlew SP.
It was the first time I've ever seen Curlew SP in the Bendigo district.  The
publication 'Birds of the Bendigo District' lists only two previous records.  I
also saw 4 White-breasted Woodswallows - another newie for the district for me.
Previous occurrences have been at Lake Eppalock, Lake Cooper and Laanacoorie
Reservoir (south-east, east and west of Bendigo respectively).  Was nice to get
Zebra Finches and lots of White-fronted Chats too.

At dusk, I visited a couple of spots in the nearby Whipstick State Park where I
heard at least 7 Spotted Nightjars calling.
In other areas of the district, many box-ironbark areas are currently alive with
the return of spring/summer migrants.  I have seen numerous Black-eared and
Shining Bronze Cuckoos, and several Horsfield's Bronze, Fan-tailed's and
Pallid's.  Rufous Whistlers have been here for a couple of weeks now and are
becoming more abundant.

Enough for now.

Cheers,

Chris