birding-aus

Western Whipbirds at Two Peoples' Bay

To: <>
Subject: Western Whipbirds at Two Peoples' Bay
From: Syd Curtis <>
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2001 09:43:20 +1000
I was pleased to see the postings about Western Whipbirds at Two Peoples'
Bay.  My wife and I were over in the West a few weeks ago.  Hired a car in
Albany and drove to Two Peoples' Bay, not to do any birding, but just
because it's such a beautiful place.  Had lunch in the Little Beach car
park, and to my great delight heard while sitting in the car (it rained), a
bird song (duet, I think) that I hadn't heard since I visited the CSIRO
Noisy Scrubbird research project in '72.  Reckoned it was the Whipbird.
Certainly wasn't a Noisy, and the only other possibility was W.
Bristle-bird, but my recollection was that it was Whipbird.  Nice to have it
confirmed.  Thanks, Birding-aus.

My reason for this posting is to suggest that if there is any doubt whether
the Whipbirds at Two Peoples' Bay are Western or Mallee, surely CSIRO who
operated the research station for a number of years, would have worked that
out.  And the CALM Ranger for the area, Alan Danks would surely know.  My
memory is that when Norman Robinson was boasting about being able to hear
from the CSIRO hut, not only Noisy Scrubbirds, but Whipbirds and
Bristlebirds, that he called them Western Whipbirds.

Syd Curtis in Brisbane.