birding-aus

West Nile Virus

Subject: West Nile Virus
From: John Gamblin <>
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2001 21:26:09 -0700 (PDT)
I had this forwarded on from our friends Sid and
Sharon
back in the USA: They forwarded on an extract from
birdchat to me.

Sid and Sharon Genaux <> wrote:

Hi John,
WNV has been a hot topic on BIRDCHAT the last few
days.
Here are some of the posts:

Subject: Re: West Nile
From: Michael Cooper <>
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2001 09:20:21 -0400

Ron Nambiar wrote:

Here in the New York, Long Island, NJ and Connecticut
area there have been something like 8 deaths
attributed to WNV since the first 'outbreak' three
years ago.  This in an area populated by something
like 20 million people. Almost everything you come
across in day to day
life is more likely to kill you than this virus,
including car travel, smoking or lightning strikes
(about 1 in three million). We really should keep this
in perspective. Worry about the pesticides!

Mike Cooper
Ridge, LI, NY