birding-aus

Townsville

To: "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: Townsville
From: "Marleen Acton" <>
Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2001 00:04:55 +1000
G'day everyone,
                        Once again the rain has refused to fall this month, leaving Townsville looking browner than it has for quite some years. The Met Bureau tells us that we have received just 369mm this year compared to 2399mm last year. So the birds are congregating on or near any available water.

Which brings me to the interesting sightings of birds seen locally this month. Over 200 Pink-eared Duck (80 were last seen in Sep 99) and 5 Australian Shovelers. Up to 12 Latham's Snipe at any one time ( it seems as though they are everywhere) Red-necked Stint and Curlew Sandpiper passing through. With Spiny-cheeked Honeyeaters, Rufous Songlark, and White-winged Trillers to round off the list.

That's it from me this month I will be off line for Two months as Alf and I make our way to WA. We return early November.

Marleen.